Monday, March 15, 2010

Altar Skull

Emily Austin, "Auntie Em" from Tennessee said: “My first submission is a painting I was asked to do for a celebration of Dia de los Muertos at Christ Church Episcopal in Nashville, TN in 2006. During the First Friday Service the congregation had a special place to put lighted candles in memory of loved ones. The skulls in the painting glowed in the candlelight.”


Installed
C. Stipe says:

I am really impressed by this work. The interconnection of the white shapes and the visually stimulating layering effect make this piece look as if it has a joyous movement. I can visualize seeing this bathed in the flickering candle light and imagine the skulls appearing to dance. Thank you for submitting this work and allowing us to share it.

3 comments:

Abby Davis said...

It's like as if Picasso painted skulls.

Olive Owl said...

Spectacular colors! Great painting!

Auntie Em said...

Thank you so much for posting my painting here. I'm a regular follower and finally got up the nerve to submit something.

Thanks also for the kind comments. Can always use the encouragement.

Best wishes,
~Em~