Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Recycled T-Shirt Skull

Professor Ben Venom at the San Francisco Art Institute wrote: “Here is my submission...it is a quilt I made from old and new Heavy Metal band T-shirts. The quilting pattern forms a spiral coming out of Ozzy's forehead.”

Title: Am I Demon?
Media: Heavy Metal T-shirts, Fabric, Thread,
BattingSize: 41" x 51" Year: 2010

Molybdenum C says:

I really wish I had the ability to make these large quilts. A lot of clothes that have worn out past the point of donation would be a perfect for such a project, and just think I could then donate the quilt. Thank you for sharing your artwork with us and if you haven't already done so there is still time to make a quilt square for the Skull Appreciation Day quilt project. You can find detail about it here.

Skull Appreciation Day Daily Button Giveaway
To be entered in the drawing just leave a comment below stating: What are some of your favorite shirts that you could turn into a skull quilt? A 1984 Duran Duran tour shirt that I have kept all these years would top my list.

IMPORTANT: Don't forget to include a way to contact you!
(Either your e-mail in the post OR make sure your profile has an e-mail link for you. If all else fails drop us an email to our submission address with your profile name. )


NOTE: If you're reading this on Facebook, be sure to leave your comment on the original Skull-A-Day.com post if you want to be actually entered in the contest

3 comments:

Sarah said...

wow. just wow!

I want!

dolores said...

That is fantastic....it's not easy using old tees for quilting!

I'm working hard on a couple of squares to donate...hope to have them in the mail this weekend!:)

I've had so much fun doing these I'm thinking of making a wallhanging for myself!

Tatman said...

Totally f'ing awesome! Killer work, Ben!

As for me, I have a bunch of old tattoo shop t-shirts that I'm sure my wife would rather see on a quilt than in my closet. lol!