Thursday, March 6, 2014

3D Quilted Skull

Rebekah Kortokraks, aka Trixie Delite, of Brighton, UK, created this 3D quilted textile skull. She explained "The skull represents death and darkness. As the warmth and light of spring approached..., I created the flowers and butterflies which represent growth, hope and transformation." "I was inspired by Carl Jung's theory of 'the gold in the shadow': his belief that what consciousness rejects is often the stuff of life that may give it its highest value. 'One does not become enlightened by imagining figures of light but by making the darkness conscious' - Jung. I wanted to transform the skull (an object that is generally regarded as morbid and creepy) into a thing of beauty." I use a mix of life and death in my skull artwork, so I can definitely related to how she views her creation. To see what else Rebekah is creating, check out her Blog, and Facebook page.



A look at the other side of the skull.

No comments: