Monday, January 12, 2009

Teddy Bear Skull

Artist Stephanie Metz shared one of her amazing needle felted pieces: Ursulus lenis 4.5”x 6.75”x 5”, 2007. She says Ursulus lenis is her, "made-up Latin name for this particular species of teddy bear, which translates to genus 'Small bear' species 'smooth', so named for the source teddy."

I actually encountered her early on during my year of skull making and I think I was so impressed by how great her work was that I didn't even try doing a needle felted skull of my own! See more of her fantastic work HERE.

6 comments:

Tatman said...

Incomparable work! Having 2 young kids with teddy bears will make me look at them in a new way now.

Tatman said...

Whoa! I just checked out your site, Stephanie, and your work is awesome. I especially like Ursulus parvulus 10-08. Crazy!

http://www.stephaniemetz.com/TeddyBearFetusInJarUrsulusParvulus10-08.html

Nikoli said...

WOW! That's cool! *can't wait to get home and cut open my sons teddy bear!*

Ananaia said...

Once again the skill and creativity exhibited by participants on the Skull-a-Day project blows my mind. Awesome!

katillac deVille said...

Oh wow, I have to see how that is done. Not that I'd be able to, mind you, but out of curiosity. It's a cat thing.

Nikoli: that was pretty funny!

Joel Mielke said...

Great work! Cuddly and creepy at once.