Monday, August 25, 2008

Jolly Roger Skull Cake

My friend Christi made this fantastic cake for her boyfriend's 40th birthday! She says, "The party had a pirate theme so I decided to turn the cake into a jolly roger flag. The icing was dark chocolate fondant dyed black with food coloring. The skull and crossbones were cut freehand out of white fondant. The cake itself was red velvet and it ended up being 15" x 11" x 4". I don't think I'll ever make a cake that big again, but I certainly enjoyed playing with fondant for the first time." Before...

and after...

2 comments:

WB said...

Please tell me that instead of the "Happy Birthday" traditional song, you played Under Jolly Roger by the 'pirate metal band' Running Wild!!

lol

megan said...

I would love to know her recipe for the dark chocolate fondant. I've been playing around a bit with fondant and haven't ventured out to chocolate yet. xmeganx@gmail.com