Tuesday, December 4, 2007

184. Ink & Tray Skull

Printing Ink on Etched Polystyrene Tray (8.25in x 5.75in). I've been very jet lagged since I got back from vacation and haven't had much sleep, so today's skull is a result of my fuzzy brain. All I knew is that I wanted to work with a Polystyrene tray that came with some food yesterday (they're so hard to avoid!) and I remembered that they could be used to make rudimentary printing plates. I etched into the surface with a pencil and a metal tool and then rather than making a print I rubbed ink into the lines and wiped off the excess.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

imagine finding that at the bottom of your chips! XD i'd be seriously worried.
great work though =] i like your inky ones.

Tatman said...

Very primitive. It looks like it's cut into stone or engraved into metal. I never would have guessed it was a polystyrene tray. Nice work , even for a fuzzy brain.

Anonymous said...

Hehe I can picture a similar design with an animal skull and red ink, since these trays usually contain bloody meat!

Debra Kay said...

Niiiiiiice

Noah said...

Thanks all!

Anonymous said...

You know...we use these types of trays in my osteology lab when we are analyzing the prehistoric remains and when I get bored (cuz I am not finding any mathces for my fragmented bone puzzle) I do this very same thing on the trays.
awesome!

bonnie-ann black said...

i use these trays for making simple prints as well -- though never a skull, i admit. i get two or three a week in all sizes (very large when you buy party wings -- very small when you get a bunch of grapes!). they're handy and if you screw them up it's no big deal.