Saturday, January 12, 2008

223. Recycled Skull Ring


Cut, Soldered, & Bent 14K White & Yellow Gold Wedding Ring. Here's the process of converting a wedding ring into a skull ring:
The edges were cut off (1) and bent into two curves which were welded together into the "X" shaped ring. The interior band was cut into a series of segments(2), which were filed to add detail(3), then stacked(4) and soldered together. The resulting skull was sanded and chiseled into it's final shape. The eyes & nose were oxidized to darken them and the skull was soldered onto the ring base and polished.

A huge thanks to my friend Tere at My Precious Studio who allowed me to work in her studio and helped me with the process (and actually did the soldering and polishing for me!). Please check out her work it's really terrific.

6 comments:

Citizen Agent said...

Prospector C said:

Holy friggin crap man. That is brilliant.

Hope this project didn't happen because of a d-i-v-o-r-C-e.

helena said...

this is absolutely gorgeous. i would personally love it if i received this instead of a normal wedding ring.

mirambo said...

WOW, i wish i had one of those instead of this stupid diamond.

Keltie said...

I really love this one. I think it's my favourite so far!

mim said...

This ring is a winner! I'd love to wear it. I'm going through my own jewelry box, I think I've got a ring to that could be converted to this fab' design.

Kim said...

Very nice! I'm still shopping around for a design. Since I'm likely to get a custom design, I'll keep this guy in mind.