Sunday, June 1, 2008

364. Group Skull

Arranged People, Belle Isle, Richmond, VA. A few weeks back I sent out an invite to friends and fans to come out to a local park to help make one of the last skulls. They were asked to wear a white shirt and bring a black shirt. Despite good press in a couple local news sources the turn out was on the fairly small side (perhaps it was asking a lot for skull-lovers to show up somewhere at 9am on a Sunday!). However, if I've learned anything from this project it's how to work with what I've been given, and so I am always prepared to improvise. I quickly sketched up an idea based on the quantity of people that were there and then relayed directions from my post at the end of a footbridge to my three helpers on the ground Mady, Phil, and Kenny via walkie-talkie.

Since there was time I had everyone switch to black to make another image. This version (with silhouette added later via Photoshop) shows what I had in mind if hundreds of people had shown up...


Thanks again to everyone who participated, waiting patiently through the process and suffering the morning sun for an hour, I really appreciate it!

16 comments:

PrixMadonna said...

Underpant to Skeletor:

Looks awesome.

Over.

mim said...

This such fun to be part of, allergies be darned! I'll be out in nature for a skull photo anytime!

Amblus said...

You forgot to say over.

Over.

It was fun! I'm really glad we could come out and participate.

j said...

love that you did the actual and the conceptual!

satisfying!

Paul Allan Ballard said...

Had fun, glad I could participate in a small way. Next human skull photo, I'm there.
Congratulations for tomorrow and the awesome skull year!

John said...

Nicely done, Noah. We're happy to be your pawns any day of the week (just not 9am next time, please). :) See you in a couple hours.

-John & Sherry

Elin said...

So freakin' cool! I WISH I could have gotten there, but the 7 hour drive would've been tough. I did think of you this morning and was anxious to see the outcome.

I made you a special block print today, in honor of the near completion of your year of skulls...see it here.

peace out.

Unknown said...

Reading the comments, I think I can name two who had a walky-talky at this project. Courious to see your last Skull-A-Day-skull today/tomorrow.
Birthday congratulations from continental Europe -
Have a great day!

PS: It would be the right time to find out, what kind of tree your leaf-skull (59) is from. The linden trees should (soon) be in bloom.

ceylon tea said...

Thanks for letting me participate in your 364th skull! Happy birthday tomorrow and congratulations on reaching the finish line..... so what are you going to do with the NEXT year of your life? -Dana

Anonymous said...

love, if I weren't in the South of England I'd of been there right away.

agnorth said...

Well worth waiting for
Congratulations!!!!

Couchgirl13 said...

Oh I wish I lived near you, I would have had a lot of friends to help fill in some of the spots. I too like the fact that you showed both versions. I can't believe tomorrow will be my last day of waking up to a skulladay! *cries* Congratz on not only making thru, but doing it successfully! You are an amazingly talented person, and very bright to boot. I wish you all that you could wish for in your bright future. And thanks for all the skulls!

Lisa G. said...

Sorry Noah! I was picking up sushi last night and flipping through Style and saw the article. A few hours too late or I would have brought a little crowd.

Still looks cool tho.

Charlie said...

I don't know what was more fun. Standing around trying to imagine what you were seeing, or you ordering Chuck around. A great time was had by all, and it shows in the finished piece.
Proud to be a part of it.

Lei said...

Aww... I would have loved to be there. Except I'm in New York. Congratulations on your project!

Tim said...

I live about two hours away and had hoped to come, but the early morning time didn't work out for me (kid was still sleeping when it was time to leave). Sorry I missed it! The photo still turned out great for the number of people.