Monday, December 17, 2012

[BONUS] 407. Qatar Skull

I recently had the honor of visiting Doha, Qatar to speak at the 10th anniversary celebration of Creative Commons. It was my first visit to the city and I only had one day to explore the area, but luckily my host and two of her co-workers agreed to take me on a tour. Since my talk was about creating the Skull-A-Day project, my hosts were enthusiastic about my creating a skull during the trip!


I kept an eye out for opportunities as we drove around and at the northern most tip of the country we visited an archeological site which just happened to have vaguely skull shaped clearing outside the fence protecting it. Over the course of an hour, and with the help of my hosts, I arranged a few rock piles to create the nose and eyes. It ended up being such a large skull (about 15 feet (4.6m) tall) that I had to stand in a truck bed to capture it from above!





Thanks again to my Qatari friends for their hospitality!

2 comments:

Chris Z. said...

Sweet!

Citizen Agent said...

Current C said:

Funny, I thought you were there for the UN Climate Change conference or as a VCU guest professor.

I am glad you left the site archeologists something to ponder.