Friday, February 24, 2012

100 Painted Skulls: #51

To celebrate year 5 of Skull-A-Day (June 2011-June 2012) I've decided to paint 100 skulls on 4 x 4in (10.16 x 10.16 cm) wooden panels over the course of the year...


I'm starting the second half of this project with a first: I was asked specifically to make a painting in honor of an exhibition! In this case, the fine folks at the Reiss-Engelhorn-Museen in Mannheim, Germany asked me to make something to celebrate their current skull-themed exhibition Shädelkult! I chose to honor the one of the pieces in the show: the skull of Andreas Kreis, whose name and date of death (1823) are painted directly on his cranium, since it comes from a traditional Beinhaus (bone house). Sadly I won't be able to see the show, which is up through April 29th, in person myself, but if you live in the area I hope you'll check it out!


If you'd like to own this piece you can buy it in the Skull-A-Day store HERE.

And hey, if you have a real human skull you'd like me to feature in the second half of this project and have a high resolution photo you can send me of it please get in touch! 

No comments: