Tuesday, October 21, 2008

[BONUS] 367. Letterpress Skull

Well, try as I might, I just can't seem to stop making skulls. I was recently invited by my good friends Dikko and Esther Faust at Purgatory Pie Press to make a skull print as part of their PurgaSquare House of Postcards series...


My piece, "Pimento Mori", is one of 12 cards collaboratively created with various artists & writers. The cards have cuts in them to allow for playful structure building (ala the Eames House of Cards). Dikko hand sets all of the type/images and runs the prints on his vintage letterpress. In my case I worked entirely with antique printers blocks of advertising images that belong to Esther & Dikko. Since the nature of the blocks prohibits them from being overlapped we ran two different sets to get enough coverage to create the image. After I worked out the layout, Dikko carefully put them on the press (adding tiny bits of lead and wood to get them to fit perfectly). No computers were used in the entire process!


Playing with the blocks early on...



And an initial version on the press...


The series is on sale now and can be purchased via their site HERE. I may offer a few of my prints as a prize for a future contest, so keep an eye out.

2 comments:

JUNKER JANE said...

Don't stop!! Don't stop!! :D

Tatman said...

The possibilities for skulls are limitless. It still amazes me.