Monday, March 16, 2009

[BONUS] 369. Pull-tab Skull for the USMC Skulz

Made in honor of the USMC Skulz...


It's been a while since I've made an original skull for the site, but I had to come out of retirement to thank the Marines of the Skulz unit in Al Asad, Iraq, who have been fans of Skull-A-Day for a while (and were previously featured on the site HERE). They recently sent me a fantastic care package from Iraq (isn't it supposed to be the other way around?) before finishing their time there. The box contained a note from the guys with a hand-cut skull on the front, Iraqi Coke and Pepsi cans, a carved cork skull, some Miller promotional items thanking the marines, a cammo hat, an OIF-OEF dog tag bottle opener, a small plastic skull, two commemorative coins, as well as a bag of pull-tabs specifically for skull-making. It was a weird flashback getting into the skull-making mode again (and the hours spent arranging and photographing reminded me how happy I am that I'm not making them daily anymore), but the time spent on this was the least I could do to thank the Skulz again.



Happily the gang should be mostly on their way home soon (if not already). However the next batch of Marines will be there shortly to replace them, so please, if you care about the health and well-being of the American troops who are overseas, consider doing something nice for them by participating in a group like Books for Soldiers or donating to the USO.

5 comments:

mim said...

Okay, so I've got tears in my eyes about the cool package you got from the SKULLZ. Big hugs to them from me, too. I love you guys!! What a nice treat. The skull you made for them is very nice, nice definition of features. The pull tabs worked so well. I'll second the support people can give using the two link. I'm an official volunteer with the Books group and it makes my day to send a note, a package, or letter. Do it, it'll feel really good.

Keltie said...

Awesomeness! What a thoughtful thing for them to do for you. I hope you didn't cut yourself on any of those pull tabs. It seems any time I do art with pop cans or their pieces I cut myself somehow!

Tatman said...

F'ing sweet! A big salute to the Skullz. Great idea of using the pull tabs. You know Marines are resourceful.

timelord said...

A very thoughtful gift from Uncle Sam's Motorcycle Club (as they are sometimes known) and I hope they come home soon!

Citizen Agent said...

Oh crap does this mean I need to come out of retirement also? Lets not make of habit of this.

Parrothead C said:

A menace to flip flops everywhere.