Friday, March 27, 2009

Tintype Skull

Generally I want people to have made the actual skulls they share, but I'm making an exception for this excellent image by Anthony Lawson, since it was made in such an interesting way. He says, "this is a tintype photograph, a process from the late 1800's. A sheet of metal is coated with a light sensitive colloid emulsion, exposed in the camera and developed resulting in a one of a kind image on the plate. This was shot with my 4x5 camera but I plan to do shots with my 5x7 and 8x10 after I work out the bugs of the process"

5 comments:

Tatman said...

Awesome! I had seen some of this type of photography done before and I love the old and worn look it gives the photo. Of course a skull is a brilliant subject to capture. Nice work.

Tatman said...

P.S. Here's a 'Wikihow' link on how to make a simple version of a similar "Pintoid camera"

Diane said...

this is a great photo. i'm glad you made an exception and decided to share it with us. very cool!

Paul Allan Ballard said...

This is a beautiful image

PD Nesmith said...

How about a dryplate ambrotype skull? :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/visualadventure/2117159784/

Nice to see some tintype work posted.