Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Skull Fanatic: salamandir

salamandir from the "Seattle area" is the latest addition to the Skull Fanatic series, in his own words:
i am obsessed with skulls partially because i had a brain injury a few years ago and they had to punch a hole in my skull and remove some bits that weren't working correctly any longer. you can find more information about what happened to me at http://www.puggryduckling.com/brain.html if you're morbidly curious about those sorts of things. i was obsessed with skulls long before that, though, and had this wild fantasy that i was going to get a hole drilled in my skull one day. it turned out that i was right, too.

my skull collection is way bigger than this, but these are my prize possessions, and they include a crystal skull (which is really made out of plastic, but it looks authentic) and 5 ceramic skulls made by Beau Bonds, an artist and puppeteer in seattle. one of them (the one with the circle drawn on it) i bought from beau in 1985, before i knew him and before my injury. of the other four, three are ones he made for me after my injury (the two with holes in the same place as the one with the circle, and one that he had that is a model of a prehistoric skull that had been trephined) and one is a birthday gift from someone completely different who didn't know that i know beau.

also there's a glow in the dark brain, just for contrast. i'm obsessed with brains, as well. 8)



Are you a certified/certifiable Skull Fanatic? If so, send an image or two of your personal skull/skeleton collection and tell us a bit about what makes you so crazy for skulls, how many skulls you own, and whatever else you think is pertinent!

4 comments:

Tatman said...

Those are cool. Are the holes in the skulls in the same place as the hole they drilled into yours? That is a crazy story either way.

katillac deVille said...

Please tell me where you found the glow in the dark brain! My collection of brains is about equal with my collection of skulls. Most of the brains I have are the foam "stress reliever" things, but I've been lusting for a glow in the dark one for a while now.

Girltalk said...

I love skulls - I took anatomy and was fascinated by the fact that the skull is made of many bones that all come together perfectly to encase the brain and serve as inlet to the body - and as a mom to 3 boys who have broken some bones it's quite interesting.

Anonymous said...

@katillac deVille

Archie McPhee's, of course... 8)