Thursday, May 19, 2011

Dia de la Abby #51: Collage Skull

Today's skull was made as a simple collage example for the craft portion of our Skull Appreciation Day festivities on Saturday, June 4th, 2011. If you would like to learn how I made this, come join us in Richmond, VA at Gallery 5. The craft portion from 12pm-4pm is free.



Like I mentioned above, this is a simple form of collage. I know it looks hard, but it wasn't. The flowers are made with tissue paper and small brads. The leaves and vine are also tissue paper. I used a sheet of Halloween vintage inspired scrap book paper for the skull and spiders. If you look really closely at the skull, you should be able to see skulls and bats in the design of the paper. The spiders were corner designs on the paper. I thought they worked well with the flowers, leaves and vine, since in nature, they coexist. Everything, but the flowers, was attached with Tacky Glue. I prefer this kind of glue because it's thick, but spreads well, dries quickly and isn't messy like regular glues are. This is a good project for recycling old newspapers, junk mail, magazines and telephone books.


Every week in the 4.0 year, I will post my own Dia de la Abby posts as well as a tutorial with instructions on how I made my piece. Hopefully you feel inspired by my posts just as I was by Noah's Skull-A-Day 1.0 daily project. Need more of me than just a weekly dose, follow me on Twitter and/or Facebook.

2 comments:

fogmama said...

I love this Abby! And I will be sending in a bunch of quilt squares on Wednesday to you for the quilt project.

Abby Davis said...

Thanks. Awesome! I hope the PO Box is packed daily with quilt squares!