Friday, June 26, 2009

[Flashback Friday] 167. Skull By Numbers

Flashback Friday is a weekly countdown of the fan selected top 52 skulls of Skull-A-Day 1.o. Each week I'll be posting an original skull along with some additional commentary in order from lowest to highest rated, with the #1 skull appearing in the last week of year 3 of the project...

#49: 167. Skull By Numbers



The book Paint By Number was an inspiration and reference for this one. I'd actually made a paint by number image for one of my clients a few years back, so I had an idea about how to go about doing this (at the bottom of the original post I explain the whole process), but I decided to take things one step further and actually disguise the image that you are painting. So if you think you're going to get a painting of two skulls you're in for a surprise...

You can download a hi-res PDF of it HERE to do it yourself. Please send us a picture of the results!

NOTE: You will have to mix your own colors, use the swatches at the bottom as a guide, but feel free to experiment with different palettes. I recommend acrylics or tempera, but anything opaque will work.

And if you're impatient you can cheat and see the end result HERE.

[UPDATE] This skull has now been added to the Facebook Send-A-Skull application!

5 comments:

Sam said...

WOW i did it and i have to say, i really wasn't expecting that! good job!

Chris 'Frog Queen' Davis said...

Wow, that is a clever idea. I am looking forward to painting my own....can I use Photoshop or Illustrator? Or is that cheating? :)

Cheers!

Noah said...

Use any program or material you like, just have fun!

Glad you like FJ!

Tatman said...

I used my sons' crayons and then added some texture using Photoshop. Here's mine: http://bit.ly/rhPkP

Citizen Agent said...

Craft Master C said:

Another one that I missed the first time around. Flashback Friday is giving me a second chance to catch up. I do have this printed out, but never got the paint to do it. I like Tatman's idea, maybe crayons is the way to go.

** Yes it is an American Institution