Friday, June 19, 2009

[Flashback Friday] 245. Reel-To-Skull

Flashback Friday is a weekly countdown of the fan selected top 52 skulls of Skull-A-Day 1.o. Each week I'll be posting an original skull along with some additional commentary in order from lowest to highest rated, with the #1 skull appearing in the last week of year 3 of the project...

#50: 245. Reel-To-Skull

After the first hundred or so skulls I really had to start reaching outside of my home to find inspiration. Frequently I would go to a drug store, grocery store, or in this case thrift store for inspiration. Sometimes I had something specific in mind, but very often I had no idea what I'd find. That was definitely what happened when I spotted this lovely old reel-to-reel recorder. The two big reel eyes, seemed perfect for a skull, but I wasn't sure how I'd make the rest of the features, without totally destroying the machine. A little time spent with a couple reels of old tape solved the problem. Oddly enough I actually worked a bit with these machines in college doing sound design for theater. We were probably one of the last years to learn it this way and not on a computer/sampler.

1 comment:

Citizen Agent said...

Once again how did I miss commenting on this one the first time around?

Watergate C said:

That tape isn't 18.5 minutes long by any chance is it?