Friday, March 9, 2012

Simple Circle Studios Skulls

Potter Rob Lorenz of Simple Circle Studios in Carbondale, IL wrote: “I've been following your site for a while now and have been enjoying it thoroughly. I have created skulls from time to time, but never submitted anything...until today. These skulls were done for Valentine's Day, I'm not much on traditional Valentine's Day stuff, so I made these instead. They are hand thrown on a potter's wheel, then decorated with the sgraffito technique. Which means, each piece is covered with multiple layers of colored slip (liquid clay). The designs are then hand drawn and carved through the slip to show the white clay below. The work is finished by dipping them in a clear glaze and firing them in an electric kiln.”



Kneaded C says:

I truly enjoy this sgraffito technique that you use. The style reminds me of type of reverse wood block printing creating a perfect union of two of my favorite types of art- printmaking and ceramic. It is through the involvement of our readers becoming contributors that we are able to continue each day. Thank you for being a long time reader, as well as now being a contributor to Skull-A-Day.

3 comments:

Gary's third pottery blog said...

HA! I know Rob! OUTSTANDING work from a BAMF...

Ann said...

awesome!!!

Unknown said...

now that's a cup that makes me want to drink some coffee.