Friday, March 9, 2012

[Flashback Friday] 5.40 - Dia de la Abby Makeup Skulls

Welcome to another addition of Flashback Friday.** This year the guest editors, Tatman, Citizen Agent, and myself, Azurafae are taking turns reflecting on 17 of our personal favorite skulls from the previous four years of postings. So please join us as we visit the archives and add our additional commentary on some of the original pieces.

There has been many different styles of skull makeup on Skull-A-Day over the years. I've even made 3 different styles for Dia de la Abby, for which this flashback will feature...starting with the most recent.


I wore this to a zombie themed wedding, because costumes were encouraged. Much to my surprise, my tutorial for it was featured on Laughing Squid, Neatorama, and Dude Craft. I didn't mention that on Skull-A-Day, since it was my tutorial that was pickup up by the sites, not my Dia de la Abby post. Still, without doing two previous skull makeups for Skull-A-Day: Dia de la Abby, this one wouldn't have improved, so lets take a look at those two.





There is definitely a progression in skill level and detail. The 1st and 3rd are similar, but the 3rd, had contour shading. That is what made it neat to see up close. The 1st one is actually the 1st time I had ever done skull makeup, so it is very simplified. I wore it to a Doomsday themed party. The 2nd one is sugar skull inspired. I chose this style of makeup to complete my catrina Halloween costume. If I ever chose to (or had another reason to) do another skull makeup, I would combine elements from the 2nd and 3rd one to make a more detailed and vibrant design. Of all the things I've made and featured on Skull-A-Day, the tutorials for the skull makeup are the most popular. I find that bizarre, but very flattering.


 **Flashback Friday was a weekly countdown of the fan selected top 52 skulls of Skull-A-Day 1.0. Each week during year 3.0 The Skullmaster posted the original skull along with some additional commentary in order from lowest to highest rated, with the #1 skull appearing in the last week of year 3.0, all 52 can be found here. During year 4.0 the editors had their chance to countdown their favorites Azurafae HERE, Citizen Agent HERE, and Tatman HERE.

No comments: