Thursday, February 24, 2011

Dia de la Abby #39: Cog Skull


This skull is inspired by Steampunk and clock making. I had bought these tiny watch parts to make jewelry and accessories with. I had a brown piece of thin faux leather. I though pairing the two would work well for a Steampunk influenced piece. I've loved Victorian and Sci-Fi since I was a child, which are two components in the Steampunk genre. I love the morbid and proper aesthetic of Victorian. The allure is in the mystery of a person. This plays into Sci-Fi (Science Fiction) well. My mom introduced me into this world of curiosity and wonder at a young age. I appreciate that every day. As far as clock work goes, well the cogs are from watches. I love that something so important can be made of tiny fragile parts. To give you a sense of scale, the largest cog (gold, top right) is about the size of a US nickel. Not only are they fragile due to size, but they are thin, have serrated edges and are sharp. I love something that is deadly and beautiful.



Every week in the 4.0 year, I will post my own Dia de la Abby posts as well as a tutorial with instructions on how I made my piece. Hopefully you feel inspired by my posts just as I was by Noah's Skull-A-Day 1.0 daily project. Need more of me than just a weekly dose, follow me on Facebook.

No comments: