Thursday, February 17, 2011

Dia de la Abby #38: Bleeding Skull



I have been playing with blood splatter on a few hair accessories, but I wanted to try it on canvas. I recommend doing this outside, as it's messy. Also, cover your work surface or you will have splatter where you don't want it. I laid the canvas flat. I used different shades of red paint (red + black in different amounts) with water to make the paint splatter better. I used a paint brush because I wanted large splatters and drips. I tapped the handle of the brush on the side of one pointer finger to control the splatter mess. If you wanted something finer, you could use an old paint brush and rub your thumb across the paint dipped bristles. I made sure the shades of red splatter overlapped each other, for added interest. After I was satisfied with the coverage and used up all my alloted paint, I stood the canvas up and leaned it against the railing of my balcony. The paint immediately ran and a large pool of it formed at the bottom...sticky much like real blood. After the paint had stopped running, I laid it down to dry, away from the pool of paint on the covered work surface. This is definitely one of the creepier paintings I've done, but the way the reds flow together, is really beautiful.



Every week in the 4.0 year, I will post my own Dia de la Abby posts as well as a tutorial with instructions on how I made my piece. Hopefully you feel inspired by my posts just as I was by Noah's Skull-A-Day 1.0 daily project. Need more of me than just a weekly dose, follow me on Facebook.

2 comments:

Caryn F. said...

This is simply beautiful. The way the different shades of red overlap, it really does look like blood.

Maryam A. said...

Hot :D