Friday, April 4, 2008

306. Skulltone Pattern

Digital Halftone Pattern Photo-Illustration. If you're not familiar with halftone patterns, they are the small series of dots that are used to reproduce photos in printed media (look close at any newspaper photo for an example). I had been wanting to try out Photoshop's ability to use a pattern for halftones, but the real work is creating an endlessly repeatable pattern tile to use first. In this case I worked with a photograph I took of a skull and then when I got the pattern right applied it to the same photo. Here's a detail view (though you can also click on the image above to see a large version of the entire image):


I think this pattern is ideally suited for use on images like this:

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

the baby looks so creepy
any tutorials on how to do this? its pretty neat
and where are you gonna do books signings like what state? i'd love to get mine signed once i get it

Citizen Agent said...

Adobe C said:

So already working on your print ads for the new book?

COMING SOON TO AN INDEPENDENT- FREE RANGE- ORGANIC- FAIR TRADE- BOOKSELLER NEAR YOU! PRINTED ON RECYCLED PAPER AND DELIVERED BY ALTERNATIVE FUEL VEHICLES.

**Did I miss any words above that get you haters upset?

Noah said...

C: Ha, if only that was actually the case!

xmyhearinbloodx: You should be able find patternmaking tutorials pretty easily online.

Book signing will most likely be in Virginia, New York, and California, but who knows there could be more!

silvergirl said...

hey- at first i thought this was made with one of those cases set with tons and tons of dulled pins, that as a kid you always push your hands or your face against.... very neat looking! (and thanks for the random memory, as well. ;)

katillac deVille said...

This is full of awesome! I too thought it was done on one of those pin things at first glance.

I highly recommend this for the next t-shirt!

Tatman said...

Wow! The funny pages are a great place to see the halftone patterns. The skull looks really cool, the baby looks like something from a horror flick. Nicely done as usual.

Any chance that Michigan might be on the cross country book signing tour? Haha, I won't hold my breath. I'd love to get my copy signed, but I'll find another way.

agnorth said...

Hmmmm -- did I hear California??!! Music to my ears!!

Kim said...

Wow, I got shivers once I saw the zoom! And yes, the doll is extraordinarily creepy.

So, Noah... And chance of coming to Australia? :P

(You know you want to!)

Noah said...

Kim: If you can find someone willing to pay my way, I'd be there in a heartbeat!

Weirdish said...

Virginia, New York, California?
East, east, west.
Looks like you need a middle! How about Colorado?