Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Skull with the Butterfly Wings

Stella M. Lopez, who can be reached HERE, has submitted these wonderful butterfly pins.


Ms. Lopez told us: “I make these butterflies every year for Dia de los Muertos. I have always made little skulls out of polymer clay, so they are always knocking around my house in drawers, under furniture, etc. One day I picked one up and put it on a plastic butterfly that my daughter had received as a party favor. I thought it looked beautiful and spooky. I immediately recognized the connection with death, transformation, and beauty that it embodied. I get pre-made butterfly wings which I paint with acrylic, using butterfly encyclopedias for reference. Some are faithful reproductions of actual butterflies, some I just made up. Although I do folk art that reflects the tradition of Dia de los Muertos art, the butterflies are really not traditional to Mexico. However, I have since found through research that in Mexico Monarch butterflies represent the souls of deceased children.”

Somber C says:

I truly find these amazing and I am so glad you submitted your work to us. Thank you for allowing us to share it, and also for the extended explanation of your work.

1 comment:

M.P. Skelletree said...

They look alive! Cheers :o)