Thursday, June 17, 2010

Dia de la Abby: #3 - Chalk Skull

Today's Dia de la Abby, is inspired by summer days as a kid, a want to make something outside and a need to entertain my daughter for an hour or more.


This was a drawing that I made on one of my front steps to my house, while my daughter drew on the other two. Because the art is outside, I drew a nature inspired sugar skull. I wish I had brighter chalk colors like the skull master did. One of my neighbors did see us drawing on our steps, but since she knows it's temporary, she wasn't bothered by the skulls. My daughter suggested making the the bow rainbow striped. While making it, I taught her how to conserve chalk and smudge the chalk after application. I also taught my daughter how to make a banner. There is a short tutorial this week and you can also see my daughter's interpretation of the above skull, as well as another chalk drawing she did.

This is what the skull looked like after the 1st rain. It has rained a few more times after that. All the white is gone. The only part that remains is the red skulls and cross bones and the signatures at the bottom. The red chalk seems to be the most durable.


Every week in the 4.0 year, I will be post my own Dia de la Abby posts as well as a tutorial with instructions on how I made my piece. Hopefully you feel inspired by my posts just as I was by Noah's Skull-A-Day 1.0 daily project.

No comments: