Thursday, January 27, 2011

The Skull Quilt Project: The Vibrant Dead Cat

Blocks have been coming in for the Skull-A-Day and Becky's Fund Skull Quilt Project. Brenda from Felis Creatibus sent us her quilt block entitled "The Vibrant Dead Cat". It is machine sewn and hand embroidered. I really like the use of color, prints and that it's a cat skull vs. a human one. Remember, I just said "make a skull", I didn't specify what species. Kitties need skull love too.



Speaking of quilt square making, I noticed some concerns about sewing ability. I realize that not everyone knows how to sew and that is certainly not a requirement of this project. You can paint, fuse, felt, glue, melt...use what ever mediums you want to use with your 12"x12" fabric square. I'll be using a variety of techniques to make mine...for which I will give you all a sneak peek of soon. Take this opportunity to experiment with different things to see what works best for your block and to your liking. This project is also about you all having fun with it.

Also, if you are a teacher, scout leader or parent, this is a project you can get your students, scouts or children involved in too. I'd love to see a variety of blocks from all different skill levels and places. It's a fun project with a deeper meaning and for a great cause. You, like Brenda, don't need to make a human skull, it can be any type of skull. I'll be looking forward to seeing your works.

Send your finished skull quilt squares to:

Skull-A-Day
PO Box 73236
Richmond, VA 23235


If you have any questions about the project, feel free to email me at abby@skulladay.com

The deadline for the skull blocks is Saturday, May 28, 2011, Skull Appreciation Day. We are currently working on a Richmond, VA event for this, which should have the quilts displayed. Afterwards, the quilts will be auctioned off and the proceeds will go to Becky's Fund, which is an organization that helps victims of domestic violence.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Freaky and cute! Very nice!

Mari said...

very unique and cute! i like it!

Amy said...

this is super awesome!

Lydia said...

I am putting my painfully ancient and much-loved kitty to sleep today. Today's skull couldn't have been more beautifully appropriate. Thank you.

Noah said...

So sorry to hear that Lydia. I know how painful it is to loose a furry loved one, even when they've lived a long full life. My condolences.

Lydia said...

Thank you, Noah, for the kind words.

I'll be bidding on this one when you have the auction..I hope/assume we'll have the opportunity to bid remotely.

Noah said...

We are still figuring out the process for bidding, but definitely plan to make it possible for folks to do it online.

Brenda S. said...

Thank you for all the great compliments. I am eager to see everyone's quilt squares and the finished quilts. This has been a fun project and for a great cause. Join the fun and send in your skull square!