Saturday, May 3, 2008

335. Tie-"Die" Skull A.K.A. Hippie Skull

Tie-Dyed T-Shirt (still drying). Third Attempt. The first looked sort of like an amoeba, and the second had a decidedly Punisher vibe (perhaps I'll show you that one during S-A-D 2.0). I don't think I've done tie-dye since I was in hippie pre-school in the 70's!

UPDATE: Since folks asked, I'll give a brief explanation of how I made this. I started by sketching on the shirt with a pencil where I wanted white areas. Then I gathered each outlined section individually so that as much of the line around it was visible as possible and then I looped a rubber band tightly around each part making sure to cover the line (working from the smallest sections to the largest). Then I just followed the directions on the package of fabric dye. I definitely needed the initial attempts to figure out how to best gather the sections, and working with mostly circular type shapes is definitely helpful. If you make your own be sure to send me a photo!

8 comments:

j said...

that is soooo big!!!
impressive - I have tried tie "die"'-ing and I can't imagine getting an actual image out of it!

great name! of course I love the play on words!

Tim said...

Looks like an xray. Any how-to instructions if we want to make our own?

katillac deVille said...

That is to tie-DIE for! *snorft*

Show+TellGallery said...

That looks awesome!

I would love to get one of those... Good work!

Nikoli said...

Yea, a how-to on that would be awesome...

VERY cool! Groovy even! ;)

Citizen Agent said...

Green C said:

What makes this a hippie skull is the compact florescent hanging above it.

Also you have a major code violation going on there with the coil of romex being that close to a water source without a proper GFCI outlet.

Noah said...

Thanks all! I'll update the post with some simple directions soon.

C: Ha, right you are about the compact florescent! However, the water source isn't connected, so I should be safe on that front...

Tatman said...

Duuuuude, that's awesome! Is Johnny in the back there mixin' up the medicine? Sweeeet!