Thursday, December 9, 2010

Dia de la Abby #28: Punched Metal Skull


When I was a child, I remember my mom and dad making copper ornaments by punching designs in them. I think they were for a school Christmas thing. They still have them at their house. I was fascinated that with a hammer, a nail and a piece of metal, that you could make an intricate design. Since Christmas is in a few weeks, I was inspired by that memory to make my own punched metal piece. The act of hammering a nail into the metal to create a hole isn't hard, but holding the nail still tightly and hammering countless times, is painful. This is a project I won't be doing again any time soon. Of course, this would be easier had I used soft copper and made a small ornament. Also, this piece was going to have 4 flowers around the skull. I gave up when I could barely hold the nail still without being in pain...yay!!!! Should you want to make your own, follow the tutorial. I highly recommend keeping your design simple and making something small.


Every week in the 4.0 year, I will be post my own Dia de la Abby posts as well as a tutorial with instructions on how I made my piece. Hopefully you feel inspired by my posts just as I was by Noah's Skull-A-Day 1.0 daily project. Need more of me than just a weekly dose, follow me on Twitter and/or Facebook.

1 comment:

Abby Davis said...

That is a good idea. I will remember that for the future. Thankfully my manicure was already shot from other projects...yay... I did gently smack my knuckles a few time, but not bad enough to hurt myself. My hammering arm was too tired to have much force.