Friday, December 10, 2010

[Flashback Friday] #351. Entomology Skull

Welcome to another addition of Flashback Friday.** This year the guest editors, Citizen Agent, Tatman, and myself, Azurafae, are taking turns counting down our personal favorite 17 skulls from the Original 365.25 Year. So please join us as we visit the archives and add our additional commentary on some of the original pieces.

#8 - #351. Entomology Skull


For me, the study of insects and arachnids is something that started the 1st time I saw a pristine butterfly pinned and classified in a shadow box. I've loved butterflies since the 1st time I ever saw them. I love them so much I have a female Eastern Tiger Swallowtail tattooed on me. Noah's careful arrangement of delicate insects includes butterflies, moths and beetles. I can spot 4 male Yellow Eastern Tiger Swallowtails (the yellow ones with black tiger stripes...hence the name). They are the state butterfly of Virginia, where Noah and I live. They are also the state butterfly for Delaware, Georgia and South Carolina. I can definitely attest that there are many of them in the South. The Brookgreen Gardens in Myrtle Beach, SC has many beautiful Swallowtails. The Audubon Nature Institute in New Orleans, LA has even more fly around the zoo. The experience of being surrounded by these delicate creatures is magical.



**Flashback Friday was a weekly countdown of the fan selected top 52 skulls of Skull-A-Day 1.o. Each week during year 3.0 The Skullmaster posted the original skull along with some additional commentary in order from lowest to highest rated, with the #1 skull appearing in the last week of year 3.0, all 52 can be found here.

No comments: