Thursday, March 3, 2011

Dia de la Abby #40: Skull Pasties



Sunday, I took a class at The Richmond Institute of Burlesque with Deepa De Jour, to learn how to make pasties. I thought it would be neat to figure out how to make skull ones. She makes this look a lot easier than it is, which is why you see only one. This one is made from buckram and PVC. I used embroidery thread to stitch a simple design. I'll experiment with this design to make more detailed ones. I would give you a tutorial, but I'm still trying to figure out how to make them and Deepa is a better teacher of this artform. If you are doing embroidery, I recommend not using PVC as your decorative fabric, as any hole will show easier (say an accidental one) and you will have to start all over...or disguise it. A lot of things in life are about trial and error, and I find I make a lot of prototype in crafting. If you would like to learn how to make pasties, go to The Richmond Institute of Burlesque and sign up for Deepa's pastie making class. They also offer many other costuming and dance classes.


Every week in the 4.0 year, I will post my own Dia de la Abby posts as well as a tutorial with instructions on how I made my piece. Hopefully you feel inspired by my posts just as I was by Noah's Skull-A-Day 1.0 daily project. Need more of me than just a weekly dose, follow me on Facebook.