Thursday, March 17, 2011

The Skull Quilt Project: Night of the Living Sock Hop

Jamie Rhodes mailed us this Skull Quilt square called "Night of the Living Sock Hop". I really love the layering of fabrics to create the skull. This is a great use of the applique method. It does remind me of a sock hop and all those horror movies about the date that died on the way to the dance, so their ghost wonders the stretch of road they died on. I want to wear my polka dot dress and some red accessories now...and go for a drive...




Here is some information on the Skull Quilt Project:

The quilt blocks need to be 12"x12" in total size. This includes 1" around all sides of seam and ironing allowance. This means you have about 10"x10" of art space. Since these are art quilts, feel free to use any medium you wish that will adhere to a 12"x12" cotton square. Just decorate one side of the square and don't worry about finishing the edges. I will be sewing your square to other squares, to make a quilt. I'll be making multiple quilts, so I will match yours up with other participants squares of similar colors or themes. Each quilt will be three squares x three squares, a total of nine squares. If you want, get together with your friends and make nine blocks that have similar colors, so I can make one quilt with them. Need more inspiration, check our other submissions.

Send your finished skull quilt squares to:

Skull-A-Day
PO Box 73236
Richmond, VA 23235

On a note sent with the piece, please include:
Your name
Your city, state and/or country
Your email - I will email you when your block arrives

If you have any questions about the project, feel free to email me at abby@skulladay.com

The deadline for us to receive the skull blocks is Saturday, May 28, 2011. This is so we can sew the quilts in time Skull Appreciation Day. The quilts will be auctioned off at and after the June 4th event. Proceeds from these quilts will go to Becky's Fund, which is an organization that helps victims of domestic violence.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i think your missing some!
;-)

Abby Davis said...

Nope, I have a lot more. I'm spacing them out, one a week. I will post yours soon.

Anonymous said...

i know - just giving ya grief....
;-)

erica clark photography said...

Oh man, that Night of The Living Sock Hop block is THE cutest thing EVAR!!!!