Friday, October 22, 2010

[Flashback Friday] 104. Vinyl Skull

Welcome to another addition of Flashback Friday.** This year the guest editors, Citizen Agent, Tatman, and myself, Azurafae, are taking turns counting down our personal favorite 17 skulls from the Original 365.25 Year. So please join us as we visit the archives and add our additional commentary on some of the original pieces.

#15. - 104. Vinyl Skull


There are two reasons I like this piece.

1) I have fond childhood memories of listening to records with my parents and dancing around the living room with them. One day many years later, I found a Cyndi Lauper record at a thrift store, which was the 1st single that my parents bought me as a kid. I knew it then that I needed a record player, so my parents bought me a record player for my birthday. I've enjoyed many hours of listening and dancing to my now large record collection. Recently, I inherited my grandmother's record player cabinet. We used to listen to swing and big band on it. You can see now, that records have a special place in my heart

2) I know as an art medium, vinyl records can be temperamental to work with. I commend Noah for being able to cut through this record without warping it. The curves of the skull are evocative with the curves of the concentrate circles of a record. This makes me want to play my records.



**Flashback Friday was a weekly countdown of the fan selected top 52 skulls of Skull-A-Day 1.o. Each week during year 3.0 The Skullmaster posted the original skull along with some additional commentary in order from lowest to highest rated, with the #1 skull appearing in the last week of year 3.0, all 52 can be found here.

No comments: