Thursday, August 12, 2010

Dia de la Abby: #11 - Frankenstein's Monster

My interpretation of Frankenstein's Monster's skull is a companion piece to last week's Bride of Frankenstein Skull.



The classic tale of Doctor Frankenstein and his monstrous creature is one we all know well, but if you don't, I highly suggest reading it. As with art, there can be a struggle between you and your artwork. The masterpiece in Frankenstein of course is his monster. The struggle is the relationship he has with him and the fact that Frankenstein built a being out of dead parts, then brought him to life. Who are we to play god? "Frankenstein" was inspired by Mary Shelley's experience with watching one of her father's friends apply electricity to a dead criminal, which caused his appendages to jerk, as if he was being brought back to life. This experience combined with a weekend spent with friends where a game of horror stories on a thunderous night, produced this thought compelling work. For me, I don't recall rain, but then again, I also don't consider my piece a master piece. The next time it rains, curl up with a good book. Might it be scary or silly, your imagination is better than any film adaptation.

As with last week's piece, I used the same supplies...acrylic paint, brushes and a paint pen to create this piece, so no tutorial.



Every week in the 4.0 year, I will be post my own Dia de la Abby posts as well as a tutorial with instructions on how I made my piece. Hopefully you feel inspired by my posts just as I was by Noah's Skull-A-Day 1.0 daily project. Need more of me than just a weekly dose, follow me on Twitter.

4 comments:

Noah said...

I really like the pair of images! Their simplicity is very lovely.

Noah said...

p.s. You should share them with this guy as well: A Patchwork of Flesh

Abby Davis said...

Thanks. I've wanted to paint them for a while. I have to find a place to hang them in the house.

I will definitely share them with the "A Patchwork of Flesh" guy.

Abby Davis said...

looks like he takes artist trading cards, so maybe I will make him two little ones and send them to him.