Thursday, August 26, 2010

Dia de la Abby: #13 - Shell Skull

This week, I went to Myrtle Beach, SC with my husband and daughter, for our wedding anniversary. On Tuesday, we went to the beach.


Before going to play in the water, I was determined to make a skull out of shells. With help from my daughter, we gathered a variety of shell pieces. I arranged them into a skull shape. It's sort of like a puzzle. I had to look at the shapes of the shells to decide placement. The largest ones with curved edges formed the curve of the head. The large "tooth like" ones, were used for teeth. The rest were used to fill in. My husband thought that I needed to make the shells look darker by using water to wet them. Alex (our daughter) accidentally left her sand toys at home, so with many handfuls of water (I'm sure I looked odd cupping my hands, filling them with water and then pouring the water onto a skull shaped with shells), this was achieved. I of course left the intact for others to see.

There is no tutorial for this one, because it's an arranged skull. With some time and effort, you can use anything to make an arranged skull. Just use your imagination.



Every week in the 4.0 year, I will be post my own Dia de la Abby posts as well as a tutorial with instructions on how I made my piece. Hopefully you feel inspired by my posts just as I was by Noah's Skull-A-Day 1.0 daily project. Need more of me than just a weekly dose, follow me on Twitter.

3 comments:

Noah said...

It's lovely. Thanks for taking time out from your anniversary trip to make this!

Abby Davis said...

Thanks. John was determined that I could figure out a way to make one on the beach. Thankfully, this particular one has lots of shells.

Chris 'Frog Queen' Davis said...

Love it! I love art make out of what ever is around.

Cheers!