Friday, August 13, 2010

[Flashback Friday] 187. Skull Clips

Welcome to another addition of Flashback Friday.** This year the guest editors, Azurafae, Tatman, and myself, Citizen Agent, are taking turns counting down our personal favorite 17 skulls from the Original 365.25 Year. So please join us as we visit the archives and add our additional commentary on some of the original pieces.

#8: 187. Skull Clips

Half-way C says:

It is coincidental that this one falls about in the middle of my list, because that was about where it was in the original list. This has stood out in my mind because it is an amazing example of industrial design. The concept is simple, and the design intricate, but what really makes this work for me is the functionality of it. It really works as one imagines it should. Up to this point in my list I have focused on many readymades in the project that Noah was raising the status of them from the mundane into works of art. In this piece there is a great shift in that it represents turning art into the everyday object. This piece has had a lasting impression with me in that almost every time I need to turn something in with a paper clip attached, I secretly wish I had these to use. I am surprised that these have yet to be picked up by one of those stationary stores and sent these into production for sale.

**Flashback Friday was a weekly countdown of the fan selected top 52 skulls of Skull-A-Day 1.o. Each week during year 3.0 The Skullmaster posted the original skull along with some additional commentary in order from lowest to highest rated, with the #1 skull appearing in the last week of year 3.0, all 52 can be found here.

1 comment:

Noah said...

Thanks again for the kind works C! I really do wish someone would contact me with an interest in licensing this design. They were a pain for me to make one at a time, but it seems like it would be so easy to mass produce.