Friday, September 18, 2009

[Flashback Friday] 168. (Escape To) Skull Mountain

Flashback Friday is a weekly countdown of the fan selected top 52 skulls of Skull-A-Day 1.0. Each week I'll be posting an original skull along with some additional commentary in order from lowest to highest rated, with the #1 skull appearing in the last week of year 3 of the project...

#37: 168. (Escape To) Skull Mountain

After seeing the original Star Wars movie I became obsessed with becoming a special effects maker. I would buy model kits and then customize and photograph them. It was fun tapping back into that skill set to build this. The mountain is papier-mâché, the snow is cornstarch, the trees are moss used for train set models, the ground is sandpaper colored with pastels and the water is an old mirror. I took it to a local park so that I could shoot a photo with an unblocked sky in the background and actual sunlight on it. I guess it did the job since several people have thought this was an actual place.

UPDATE: This skull has been added to the Send-A-Skull application on Facebook.

1 comment:

bella said...

yeah, this was always one of my faves. I thought it was real when I first saw it, too. It's cool to have to stare at a piece of work for a while in order to figure it out.